Teaching at CMIS
Chiang Mai International School (CMIS) is owned and operated by the Church of Christ in Thailand, the national protestant church, affiliated with protestant churches in the USA, Europe, and Asia. Our roots are in providing English-language education to missionary children, but today our student body represents over 30 nationalities and a wide range of cultural and religious backgrounds. CMIS is committed to Christian values and makes a concerted effort to hire teachers who share our Christian worldview.
Teaching at CMIS is an enriching experience. The student body is a very diverse group of bright, motivated, well-behaved, students with a supportive parent community. Classes are small (generally less than 20). Most teachers are here because they love teaching, and the staff and students are welcoming. We offer an English-language, American-sourced education grounded in the Christian worldview. We strive to create an atmosphere of love and understanding where teachers and students are free to share appropriate aspects of their faith in class, but there is no formal Christian curriculum. Teachers are also given considerable flexibility in how they design their classes around the required curriculum.
Please see the Job Openings list for the available full-time and part-time positions.
Applications will be accepted until each position is filled. Please submit applications electronically and direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary and Benefits
Basic starting monthly salaries for qualified full-time teachers with certification/licensing in their home country are in the range of 53,917 - 64,045 baht.
In considering the salary offered by Chiang Mai International School, it is important to keep in mind of the additional benefits package which covers: accident and health insurance, housing allowance, contract completion bonus, PD allowance, flight benefits, school-matched incentive fund, visa and work permit assistance, and tuition waivers for teachers with school-age children. The intangible benefits of working at CMIS include collaborating with dynamic staff, gifted students, supportive parents, in a well established and highly accredited international school.
The benefits of living in Chiang Mai, Thailand’s second-largest city and a regional travel hub, include a low cost of living in a city rich in culture and history, the modern conveniences of Bangkok without the crowding and traffic, and easy access to nearby countries, such as Burma, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, China and Singapore.
General Expectations for all CMIS Teachers
- Professional in appearance and behavior consistent with Christian values and cultural expectations of teachers in Thailand
- Professional qualifications including an appropriate university degree and teaching certification in their home country
- Openness to teaching in a context committed to Christian values
- Respect and sensitivity to staff and students of all cultures and beliefs
- Willingness to work in a collaborative, changing environment
- Fulfill not only assigned teaching duties, but also participate in and direct extra-curricular activities, after school meetings, and other school-sponsored events
- Ability to perform responsibilities, including developing relationships with students, consulting with staff about particular students’ needs, overseeing communication with parents, and creating opportunities for group discussion on pertinent issues with the intent of helping students grow emotionally and intellectually
- Unless otherwise stated, all positions are for two-year contracts.
CMIS usually only considers candidates who are certified to teach in their home countries and who have a degree in education or appropriate specialty subjects. Strong preference is given to candidates educated in western colleges or universities and to those who have shown a pattern of involvement in extra-curricular activities. Overseas teaching experience is preferred, but not required.
Interested applicants should submit the following documents via e-mail to the attention of “EMPLOYMENT”.
- Completed CMIS application
- A letter of interest
- A current resume or CV
- Copy of Passport
- Copy of ALL diploma(s) indicated in the application
- Copy of ALL transcript(s) indicated in the application (In case diploma or transcript is not in English, translation by registered translator is needed)
- Copy of teaching license/certification
- Criminal Clearance
- TOEIC test result (except teacher from UK, USA, CAN, AUS and NZL)
In addition to the application packet (described above), the application process involves:
- An In-Person interview, when feasible
- A telephone or skype interview (if applying from outside of Chiang Mai)
- Letters of reference (two education professionals, and one personal, character, or pastoral reference)
- A recent certificate of Criminal background check, and
- Verification of original documents
Child Protection at CMIS
Please know that CMIS places a high priority in protecting the students in our care. By submitting an application form you are stating that you have never harmed children, adolescents or vulnerable people either physically, sexually or emotionally. You are also stating categorically that that there is no reason why you should not work in a school setting with children. You also confirm that you are free from any criminal record, spent or otherwise, in any jurisdiction, with regard to offenses (or cautions/warnings) which may be deemed relevant to employment with young people at Chiang Mai International School. You also consent to CMIS conducting full background checks on you as a condition of any contract offer made, and understand that CMIS has the right to rescind any offer of employment should there be any concerns raised through those checks. Prospective employees are also informed that any adult behaviors which contravene a professional standard of decency/respect, constitute sexual, physical or emotional abuse and/or are otherwise an infringement of a student’s right to physical and emotional safety are grounds for immediate dismissal. You understand that you will be asked to sign this statement at the time of accepting any offer of employment from CMIS.